Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 Highlights-- A Year in Review

2010 has been quite a year, hasn't it? Who would have thought this little blogging adventure would become what it is today? It's kind of amazing. 2010 has not only been a year of discovering new hobbies, but also a year of some great reads and some excellent opportunities.


Here, dear readers, is Brooke's Box of Books 2010 Highlights-- A Year in Review.




First Book Read in 2010:
'The Seven Rays' by Jessica Bendinger

My Favorite Debut Novel or Stand Alone Read of 2010:
'Hex Hall' by Rachel Hawkins

Runners Up:
'Knightley Academy' by Violet Haberdasher
'The Grimm Legacy' by Polly Shulman
'Birthmarked' by Caragh M. O'Brien
'Tigers Curse' by Colleen Houck
'Nightshade' by Andrea Cremer
'Matched' by Ally Condie

Best New Book in a Series of 2010:
'Empire of Night' by Justin Somper

Runners up:
'Guardian of the Gate' by Michelle Zink
'Spirit Bound' by Richelle Mead
'City of Ships' by Mary Hoffman
'Mockingjay' by Suzanne Collins

Most Irritating Read of 2010 (aka The Book I Read Like There Was No Tomorrow, but Wanted To Ring the Characters Necks Half the Time):
'Torment' by Lauren Kate

Runner up:
'Spells' by Aprilynne Pike

The 'At Least I Tried To Like It' Book of 2010:
'Shiver' by Maggie Stiefvater

Runner Up:
'The Dark Divine' by Bree Despain

Last Book Read in 2010:
'The Iron Queen' by Julie Kagawa

And there you have it-- my favorite and not so favorite reads of 2010.  In total, I will have read 63 new books this year, which is roughly a book a week.  Geez Louise!  That's quite a bit, I think!

Now that you've seen my list, I want to know what you think of the slew of books that came out in 2010...  What was your favorite?  What was your least favorite?  Share your comments below!

3 comments:

Aylee said...

I LOL'd at your "most irritating read" choice. I haven't read a lot of positive things on that series.

Small Review said...

I think it's kind of funny that your most irritating read is titled Torment :P

I really tried to like Shiver, but I just couldn't even finish it.

Brooke said...

Aylee-- It's kind of funny. I like the series, but there were so many things in Torment that just made me want to throw it across the room.

Small Review-- You know, I hadn't put two and two together regarding Torment. Ha ha.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't get 'Shiver'. I read half of it and then skimmed the rest. Nothing drew me in at all.