Thursday, July 29, 2010

Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Genre: YA, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, romance
Format: ARC
Release Date: November 2010
Perfect for:  those looking to read about an interesting world with mind-boggling practices in place

In this dystopian society, love is not a spur of the moment thing.  You are 'matched' with your perfect mate via a video screen during a grand ceremony.   Cassia has always followed and believed in what the Society has wanted her to do, until she puts in her data card with her match information and sees not one, but two faces.  She knows her original match, her best friend Xander, would give her the life she's always dreamed off, but Ky...  Ky could give her so much more.  Faced with decisions she never thought she'd have to face, Cassia uncovers secrets about her Society that make her question not just matching but their practices as a whole.

Oh, 'Matched'...  How I loved reading thee.  Seriously, I loved the mysterious society Ally Condie created in 'Matched'.  'Matched' has a good mix of romance, quirky dialogue, and mystery. The Society is an intriguing thing to read about.  I found it really easy to slip into Condie's future.  I was never confused about the goings on and never felt like her world was 'too' futuristic.  Just like baby bears porridge, this story set up is just right.

As for characters, I loved them.  They're likable and fleshed out.  Cassia, in particular, has a unique perspective and is a great narrator.  Some heroines come off as selfish when dealing with love triangles, but that is not the case with Cassia.  You can see via her narration that she isn't using either boy.  She clearly can see a future with each.  Until she finds she must choose one or the other.

Xander is your typical boy next door, dependable as ever, sort of guy.  He could be considered stereotypical of other boy next door characters, but is one step above, I think.

Ky, well, first off, I love his name.  Condie has a great sense for naming characters.  Ky totally lives up to his name.  Just like Cassia, I looked forward to scenes with Ky.  What can I say, I'm a sucker for guys with good names and a mysterious past!  And Cassia's grandfather, the Obi-Wan of the story, I loved the role he played, as well.  Condie did a great job at creating characters who you actually care for.

'Matched' is the first book in a series and officially comes out November 2010.  There are cliff hangers-- big ones.  It's a great book for those who are sick of supernatural romances or who loved books like 'Birth Marked' or 'The Eternal Ones'.  I predict 'Matched' will gather a fan following very quickly!  (Actually, it already has from the stuff I've seen on other sites!)  Take a look at 'Matched'!  It's highly recommended!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I'm so glad I found your review of Matched! It sounds like an awesome book. I'm putting it on my TBR. Oh, and I'm a new follower. You can find me at http://lovelylittlelisha.blogspot.com

Brooke said...

Lisha- Yes, Matched is a must read! Thanks for stopping by! I'm now following you, as well!