Friday, November 19, 2010

Star Wars Fans Unite: A Message for Katie

Recently, a blogger on ChicagoNOW wrote an entry on her daughter, a young Star Wars fan, getting bullied because she used an R2D2 water bottle in school.


Here's a quick excerpt from the article:


"But a week ago, as we were packing her lunch, Katie said, "My Star Wars water bottle is too small. It doesn't hold enough water..."
I was perplexed. "Katie, that water bottle is no bigger than your Star Wars one. I think it is actually smaller."...


I kept pushing the issue, because it didn't make sense to me. Suddenly, Katie burst into tears.


She wailed, "The first grade boys are teasing me at lunch because I have a Star Wars water bottle. They say it's only for boys. Every day they make fun of me for drinking out of it. I want them to stop, so I'll just bring a pink water bottle."
The idea that bullying is going on in a first grade classroom really makes me wonder whats happened to schools these days. Were I this girls teacher, I know what I would have done. I would have gone out to the store, bought a Star Wars themed water bottle and displayed it on my desk to teach the students that nothing is 'just for boys' or 'just for girls'.  And the other reason?  Because, I really do love Star Wars!


To Katie, I'd like to say that I am a huge Star Wars fan and have been since I was as old as you! I'm in my twenties now and can't remember a time when I didn't love the Star Wars universe! I still watch the movies, quote the movies, read the books, and even collect some of the toys! Star Wars fans come in all genders, shapes, and sizes. You shouldn't feel ashamed of anything you like just because some silly boys don't understand. Me, I think it would be awesome to have a Star Wars water bottle to take to work! Keep your chin up, Katie, and may the force be with you! :)


Female Star Wars fans from all over have been commenting, tweeting (under hashtag #maytheforcebewithkaite), and posting messages to this young Star Wars fan all over the web to let Katie know she's not alone! If you are a SW fan, I invite you to add your thoughts to the newest article, your tweet page, or blog!


As a side note-- if you haven't been to Her Universe to check out the female friendly Star Wars clothing line,  I recommend you do!  I own two t-shirts and a sweatshirt and LOVE them!

4 comments:

danya said...

Totally agree with this post - Star Wars is awesome! And bullying sucks :(

Tina said...

Hey! I just stumbled onto your amazing blog, and I'm definitely following for more reviews.
Anyway, I love your posts, and your awesome blog layout!

Happy reading,
Tina @ Book Couture

Unknown said...

I wasn't aware of this! Star Wars is great; I've also loved the movies since I was little (and R2D2 was definitely one of my favorites). It's frightening how powerful gendered messages about behavior and interests are.

Brooke said...

Danya, Tina, and Bea-- Thanks for stopping by! If this thing has taught the general public anything, it's don't mess with Star Wars fans-- young, old, male, or female!