Monday, January 11, 2010

Review: Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfefffer

Title: Life As We Knew It
Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer
Format: Paperback
Genre: YA, What If, Post Apocolyptic, fiction
Perfect for: Everyone should try this book


The meteor wasn’t supposed to do any damage to the Moon. All the scientists suspected was a new crater or two. The scientists were wrong—very wrong. When the meteor knocks the moon closer to Earth, disrupting the gravitational pull, life changes for everyone. Towns are decimated by tidal waves, tsunami’s, and earthquakes. Volcano’s which weren’t active for hundreds of years begin to wake up. Told from a teen perspective, readers follow junior Miranda as she and her family try to survive the crazy world in which they find themselves living in.
I admit it, I’m a little late to the party.

For all those who also let this title go by unread (like myself), don’t! Life As We Knew It is a fantastic piece of fiction that hits scarily close to home. Genre-wise, it’s not fantasy or sci-fi, so much as post-apocalyptic fiction. Life As We Knew It had me hooked from start to finish. When I wasn’t reading it, I was thinking about it. As a reader, I became quite attached to the characters and their plight.

Though this title is depressing at times (many times), the glimmers of light towards the end make this a title I recommend wholeheartedly. If the characters don’t grasp you, the message certainly will. Read this book. You won’t regret it!

No comments: