Wednesday, March 23, 2011

At The Movies...

At The Movies... is something I'm trying out. Christmas 2010 I received a subscription to 'The Hollywood Reporter'. It is a collection of entertainment news, reviews, and award spotlights. One of my favorite sections in the magazine has to do with new deals and cast details for pre-production projects. At The Movies... will feature some of the fun info I learn week to week from this magazine and the web in general. Comments in parenthesis are my own opinions. Enjoy!


I couldn't find anything in the Reporter that mentioned YA books and movies this week, but found some interesting info about some other franchise films...


-Did you know 'Men in Black 3' went into production with only the first act (of three) written and finalized? The premise of MIB3 is this, Agent J (Will Smith) goes back in time to 1969 and has various encounters with important people from that time. Why he goes back in time, I have no idea. Also, where does that leave Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones). The dynamics between J and K seem like a major draw for audiences so how will he play into this third movie? And getting back to the topic on hand, they went into shooting with only one act written and have now halted production because actor Will Smith doesn't like the rest of the script. (I can only see problems with going at a movie this way. First, this is a time travel movie. All the elements need to be perfect and planned out in advance. One wrong move and the movie can very easily make no sense. Think 'The Lake House' with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Good movie, but it made no sense at all. MIB3, by shooting the first act already has locked itself into a series of events that would be very costly to re-shoot if they decide to make any major changes to the ending... If that makes sense. Plus, I'm all for actors being versatile in the industry, but if you're hired as an actor or even as an actor/producer, let the scriptwriters and directors do their thing and don't interfere to the point of halting production. Just do the job your hired for and do it well.)


-Blog 'Speakeasy' interviewed the creaters of 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' and announced the cast list for the main characters of their new animated sequel series 'Legend of Korra'. Check out the cast listing HERE. (I cannot wait to see this!!!)


-Narniaweb highlighted an interesting quote found in an interview with Micheal Flaherty about 'The Chronicles of Narnia' movies. He touches on making 'The Magicians Nephew' next in the line up. Narniaweb highlights it HERE. (I find the idea that the more popular books gross more quite interesting for some reason. I would have never guessed that 'The Magicians Nephew' is the second most popular book in the series.)


This week I saw via Netflix 'Letters to Juliet'. You know what? I actually enjoyed this film quite a bit. It's essentially your basic popcorn chick flick. Here's a summery of the movie taken from IMDB, "An American girl on vacation in Italy finds an unanswered "letter to Juliet" -- one of thousands of missives left at the fictional lover's Verona courtyard, which are typically answered by a the "secretaries of Juliet" -- and she goes on a quest to find the lovers referenced in the letter."


This is pretty much your standard romantic comedy/road trip movie. I loved the setting. Even if you're not crazy about the premise, the Tuscany countryside they used for the film is gorgeous. Siena, where much of this movie takes place, is one of my favorite places in the world. Well, it is my favorite place in the world. It's so pretty and the filmakers did a good job at showing viewers how awesome it is.


I recommend this for your next chick flick night! It's cute and should make you smile!


That's it for this short edition of 'At the Movies'. See ya next week!

2 comments:

Sakura Sandra said...

The Magician's Nephew is technically the first book in the series according to C.S. Lewis' wishes and I loved that one personally!

I am your newest follower for the FF/hop and I would appreciate it if you stopped by my blog to follow me too and read some of my reviews if you have some time. :)

http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

Thanks and I hope you're having a fabulous day! (^_^)

Brooke said...

Sakura- The Narnia chronology is always so complicated. My collection has 'A Horse and His Boy' as the first novel. I would have really liked to see Puddleglum on the film screen. I love his character!