Sunday, July 10, 2011

Video Rewind: Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone

I'm re-watching all the Harry Potter movies as a lead in to the final film July 15th.  This post is dedicated to the movie adaptation of 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone'
My earliest memories of the film are watching the pre-release clips of the mail scene with the Dursleys and Harry. I think I had that entire scene memorized by the movies release!  As with all the Harry Potter films, my original viewing was in the movie theater, sometime during opening week.  There are certain series you need to see in the theater, and this is one of them!

The Best Moments:
  • Love the classroom scenes.  They ground this movie.
  • Of all 7, this is the one movie that really shows off Hogwarts, both in terms of the school and the culture.
  • Oliver Wood!  Oh, why oh why, did you go away?  So darn cute with that accent!
  • On a similar note, love the flying class scene.
  • Oh, seeing Little Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco, and Neville is so refreshing!  
  • The Ghosts-- sadly, these guys got cut out of some of the other movies.  I miss them.
  • Love watching the staircases and paintings move.
  • Hagrid's "I shouldn't have said that" still makes me laugh.
  • Great Christmas scene

That Could Have Been Better:
  • Harry's pretty talented, being able to turn himself into a cartoon like CG version of himself when he's in danger.  :-)  Thank goodness they fixed the CG for future movies
  • Harry's eyes blink unevenly throughout this movie.  I've gotten used to it, but it bugged the heck out of me originally.
Now, it's your turn.  What are your favorite scenes in this first movie in the Harry Potter series?

No comments: