Friday, March 5, 2010

Forever Favorites: Aliens Ate My Homework by Bruce Coville

We all have our favorite books, books we can't imagine not reading over and over again.  Here's another one of my 'Forever Favorites’...


Title: Aliens Ate My Homework
Author: Bruce Coville
Genre: Juvi, sci-fi, humor
Perfect for: kids looking for humorous books with a sci-fi theme

From all accounts, Rod Allbright is your normal, slightly pudgy, 100% truthful kid.  Living with his mom and two twin siblings lovingly called 'Thing 1' and 'Thing 2', life is pretty much as expected.  That is, until the good ship Ferkel crash lands in his science project while hunting intergalactic bad guy, BKR.  The aliens enlist Rod to help in their search and soon finds out that the universe is a small place, a place wehre your bully could in fact be an alien of intergalactic proportions.

I love 'Aliens Ate My Homework'.  It's a funny romp perfect for any reader looking for light middle school space fun. The characters are fantastic.  Rod is instantly likable and has a fun voice to read.  The aliens, especially Grakker and Madame Pong, are quirky, unique, and very well thought out.  Talking in terms of all the characters, none come off as flat or boring.  For those worried about 'scary' characters, the villain BKR doesn't cross the line from mean to scary..

Coville is a master storyteller when it comes to middle school fiction.  'Aliens Ate My Homework' is one of his best.  The school, sci-fi, and coming of age elements spread throughout 'Aliens Ate My Homework' are executed very well and will entertain a wide variety of readers.

Also adding to its excellence are the illustrations throughout the book.  Illustrated by Coville's wife Katherine, the images help define the characters in way text alone could not.

The best part of 'Aliens Ate My Homework' is that it's a series! Under the series heading 'Rod Allbright and the Galactic Patrol', three other books follow, 'I Left My Sneakers in Dimension X', 'Search for Snout', and 'Aliens Stole My Body'.

'Aliens Ate My Homework' comes highly recommended.  Take a peek at this classic middle school sci-fi title today!!!

No comments: