Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Author Interview: Krystle Jones, author of Veiled Innocence

I recently had the chance to review 'Veiled Innocence', a fantasy adventure with a bit of romance tossed in.  You can find the review HERE.  I asked Krystle if she would answer a few quick questions.  She agreed and I'm proud to give you this new author interview!


A Bit About Krystle Jones:


Krystle Jones grew up in Tullahoma, Tennessee, where she spent her grade school years staying up late reading stories rather than doing her homework. She managed to come out of high school with straight A’s, and went on to obtain a Masters in Flute Performance. She currently lives in Omaha, Nebraska. Veiled Innocence is her first novel. Visit her online at http://krystlejones.blogspot.com


The Q and A Session:
Tell us a few fun facts about yourself:
Krystle: I love to paint landscapes and sketch portraits. I also love putting together websites, voice acting for online games, and playing in musicals (I got my masters in flute).


When and how did you first come up with the idea for Veiled Innocence?
Krystle: I had a dream one night when I was about 22 or 23 (I'm 26 now) about a princess trying to escape a palace fire. I brushed it off to my overactive imagination, but she never really faded away. In fact, other characters soon materialized (Vishka and Rowan), and before I knew it, I had a premise for a story. I talked myself out of the idea of writing a novel, since I had never attempted one before, many times before just making myself do it. The first draft was a train-wreck (went through 6 drafts total, with 2 of them being a complete rewrite), and as I learned more and practiced writing, it became what it is today.


Has writing always been what you've wanted to do?
Krystle: Not exactly. I've always loved writing and reading, but I never really expected to become a novelist. I actually wanted to go into animation; I love cartoons, even to this day. I find it fascinating how people can bring characters literally to life with nothing more than a pencil and some paper. But I was also actively invovled in the band program, and eventually chose music.


Why did you choose the ebook/self published route? Do you believe the traditional routes of getting published are changing?
Krystle: I chose self pub because I wanted to keep all my rights to my work. I'm selfish in that aspect, I suppose, and I guess since I poured 2 years of my life into VI, it made me more possessive of that particular work. 


While I think there are more opportunities for publication available to writers now, both self pubbing and traditional routes have their share of hard work involved (query letters and piles of rejections vs. wearing many hats as a self-published author. I myself, as many of my colleagues are doing, act as publicist, writer, editor, cover designer, interior designer, etc.). While you have sole command and freedom when you go with self-publishing, you also need to be well aware of the large amount of time you'll put into the novel that isn't writing or editing (about a 40/60 ratio, for me, I think). It's a lot of work.


Describe your book in 10 words or less:
Krystle: An epic dark fantasy saga. (haha)


If you had to choose the cast for a movie adaptation of Veiled Innocence, who would play Rowan, Lian, and Vishka?
Krystle: Oh, this is tough! When I wrote VI, I hadn't imagined any particular actors/actresses for the parts. When I watched the trailer for Hanna, however, I thought to myself, "Saoirse Ronan (the girl playing Hanna) would make a lovely Lian." I honestly have no idea who I'd cast for Rowan or Vishka. Probably unknowns, or up-and-coming stars.


I'm a TV nut, what is on your DVR right now?
Krystle: True Blood Season 3. I didn't have HBO when it was airing, so I'm getting caught up.


What's next? Do you have an sequels planned and when should we expect them? Krystle: Yes, there are actually 2 sequels and a prequel planned. The two sequels are untitled at the moment, but the second book will come out May 23rd, 2012 and the third and final book will release May 23, 2013 (in case you're wondering, May 23 is my birthday). 


After the trilogy is done, I want to publish a prequel called Age of Stars, that tells Vishka's backstory (how she became Empress, the love story between her and Draxonus, and the events leading up to the opening of VI where we first meet her).


Where can readers find your book and what formats can they get it in?
Krystle: They are available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Amazon UK as an ebook at $2.99 and on Smashwords in epub and other ereader-friendly editions, also $2.99. Paperback will be available soon through Amazon and it will be $14.99.

No comments: