Monday, August 24, 2009

Review: Need by Carrie Jones

Title: Need
Author: Carrie Jones
Format: ARC
Genre: YA/Supernatural/Romance
Perfect For: Twilight/Supernatural Romance fans


When Stephenie Meyer and Melissa Marr are mentioned in relation to a book, I have high hopes. I expect something with a good story, over the top romance, and a very addictive nature. I was not disappointed by Need. Jones delivers a 'can't put down' read with all the supernatural elements that have made teens and adults swoon since Twilight was released.

Need follows Zara, a girl whose father just passed away and has been sent to Maine to get through her grief. Zara is your typical high school girl-- athletic, sarcastic, and smart. She has some problems-- A) she's still not over her fathers' death and B) she's being stalked. Why and by whom, she has no idea. As the novel goes on, more questions pop up: Do Pixie's exist? Could her stalker be one of them? If they do, what about creatures called 'weres' that can change into animals and are the mortal enemy of the Pixie's? And the biggest question: What does Zara and her past have to do with any of those supernatural (and impossible) things?

Need grabbed my interest right away and didn't let go till I turned the final page. While there were some weak points, overall, I enjoyed the story. Jones did a good job at keeping the story upbeat and quite funny. There were multiple times when I literally laughed out loud b/c of the exchanges between characters. Her characters are distinct and easy to tell apart for the reader.

Weak points of Need? I would be lying if I didn't say that I saw the twists coming from a mile away, but, as with other novels of this genre, I didn't mind much. At this point, it would be hard not to know what's coming with this genre. The ending felt rushed and could have been a little longer for my tastes.

I think that fans of the supernatural genre, will like this YA novel and be clamoring for more by the end. Enjoy the read!

No comments: